1. -----“Shall I open the window?”
-----“I’d rather _________.”
A. you had better not B. you don’t
C. you shouldn’t D. you didn’t
2. ----- “Did you have to go to court?”
-----“No, I didn’t, but I would ______ if my lawyer hadn’t been so good.”
A. had B. have C. be D. do
3. If Peter had enough money, he _______ on the trip to Los Angeles.
A. would have gone B. went
C. had gone D. would go
4. If you had been in Shanghai last month, you ________ the game.
A. had seen B. have seen
C. had been seen D. would have seen
5. If you hadn’t taken such a long time to get dressed, we’d ______ there by now.
A. be B. get C. have got at D. have been
6. If the Watergate Incident _______ Nixon would not have resigned from the presidency.
A. had not occurred B. did not occur
C. was not occurring D. would not occur
7. Alan _______ the party if he’d gone to London.
A. would have missed B. had missed
C. could miss D. missed
8. -----“Your pictures are beautiful!”
-----“We _______ more if we hadn’t run out of film.”
A. would take B. had taken
C. will have taken C. would have taken
9. Peter wishes that he ________ law instead of literature when he was in college.
A. had studied B. studied C. could study D. would study
10. -----“I couldn’t talk to Mrs. Khandary very well, because my Arabic isn’t very good yet.”
-----“_________ there, he would have been able to interpret for you.”
A. If John were B. John had been
C. Had John been D. Were John
11. ___________, Gerald would have been a rich man.
A. Was he to enter business B. Were he entered business
C. Had he entered business D. If he was to enter business
12. _________, we shall go on a picnic.
A. Should the weather be fine
B. If the weather were fine
C. Had the weather been fine
D. Were the weather to be fine
13. -----“I wish I ________ the orientation program yesterday.”
-----“It’s too bad that you _________. We met a lot of people.”
A. had attended …didn’t B. had attended …hadn’t
C. attended … didn’t D. could attend … haven’t
14. -----“Do you want me to lend you some money?”
-----“I wish you __________, I can pay you back next week.”
A. should B. did C. might D. would
15. The picture exhibition bored me to death. I wish I _______ to it.
A. had not gone B. have not gone
C. did not go D. could not have gone